Problems with --exclude

Wayne Davison wayned at samba.org
Tue Jan 27 04:00:56 GMT 2004

On Mon, Jan 26, 2004 at 09:21:39PM -0600, Brian Camp wrote:
> I'm trying to get rsync to exclude the directory
> "/home/www/users/ftp/pub/" from being copied in the command line below
> and have not been successful.

The important part of the man page on this is that exclusions are
relative to the base of the transfer, not the root of the filesystem.
An easy rule of thumb is that you should exclude the name you see when
using the -v option (with a prefixed '/' added).  I.e.:

rsync -zqrlptgo --delete --exclude=/www/users/ftp/pub/ root at gorgimera:/home/ /home/backup/gorgimera/home/