2.6.0 "file has vanished" fails to set exit code on local client

Wayne Davison wayned at samba.org
Wed Jan 14 02:48:16 GMT 2004

On Wed, Jan 07, 2004 at 02:11:35AM -0600, John Van Essen wrote:
> But if the client is local and the server is remote, IOERR_VANISHED
> gets set on the remote server, but is never passed to the local
> client (the io_error value is passed at the end of the file list,
> not during or after the file transfer phase).

Yes it is, it is passed as the exit code.  In the tests I just ran, the
new error message appears if both sides are 2.6.0:

rsync warning: some files vanished before they could be transfered (code 24) at main.c(1064)

and the new error code (24) is still returned when a 2.6.0 rsync is
sending to an older rsync (though the error is unexplained):

rsync error: unexplained error (code 24) at main.c(1045)

The old message appears if the sending side is 2.5.7 or older (here the
receiver is 2.6.0):

rsync error: some files could not be transferred (code 23) at main.c(1064)

So, what test case do you have that shows a failure?