mirror problem

Sven Neuhaus sven at ping.de
Thu Jan 8 10:58:18 GMT 2004

I saw this in the archives (but no reply) so I dug it up again..:

Damian Lee wrote on Mon, 01 Sep 2003 07:05:38 +0000:

> I am currently useing rsync to mirroring my ftp server.
> And I have do a successful transfer in the firt time.
> But gets errors in the second time I try to run the same commend.
>
> environment:
> RedHat 8.0
> commend:
> rsync -avz --delete -e ssh user at host:home/path/ftp /path/ftp
> error messages:
> Password:
> receiving file list ... opendir(bin): Permission denied
> opendir(etc): Permission denied
> done
> IO error encountered - skipping file deletion
> send_files failed to open /path/ftp/some-path/.notar: Permission denied
> wrote 32 bytes  read 59957 bytes  6314.63 bytes/sec
> total size is 4290872998  speedup is 71527.66
> rsync error: partial transfer (code 23) at main.c(926)
>
> Is this a permission problem ???

I had the same problem. The remote rsync process is generating those errors, so
it doesn't help to fix permissions locally if they are still incorrect on the
other side.
Check the mentioned 'etc' directory on the remote host. You will find that you
have write access but not read access to it (d-wx). Fix the permissions.
The "rsync error: partial transfer (code 23) at main.c(926)" will disappear, too.

-Sven
PS: I think this belongs in the FAQ.
--
When things go well, expect something to explode, erode, collapse or
just disappear.