Speed up rsync ,cwRsync and replay changes against a file

Reuben Pearse Reuben.Pearse at presence-systems.com
Wed Feb 25 10:11:17 GMT 2004

Hi guys,

I recently installed and setup cwRsync on a Windows 2000 Server -
http://www.itefix.no/cwrsync/ -, and I was very impressed. I just
followed the instructions on the website and got it working.

I am using it to mirror 30Gb's of mailboxes everynight (only grabbing
the changes to each file), from a Windows 2000 box to a Linux box (RH9).

The nightly replication takes approximately 8 hrs to complete, but the
actual size of the mailbox directory only increases by about 120Mb a
day. There are 750 mailboxes and each mailbox is between 50 and 200Mb in
size.

I am using the following command line options:

rsync -avz hostname::MailBoxes /mailboxreplica

Can anyone recommend ways to speed this up - is there some extra
compression I can use, or a kind of "quick checksum" option that I could
use?

I was also wondering if there is a way to capture what rsync sees as the
changes to a file, and then replay them against a file at a later date,
as this would be useful as an incremental backup/restore option.

In general think rsync rocks and I am very impressed by it's reliability
and flexiblity!

Reuben
reuben at presence-systems.com