error in rsync protocol data stream

Ray Lischner rl.news at tempest-sw.com
Fri Feb 13 03:28:31 GMT 2004

On Thursday 12 February 2004 06:38 pm, jw schultz wrote:

> You have run out of memory.

According to the FAQ-o-matic, rsync needs about 100 bytes/file. I am
copying about 1,000,000 files, so that comes out to roughly 100MB. The
system has 192MB of physical RAM. Of course, the kernel and all the
other daemons and what-not need memory, but there should still be
enough for rsync.

I was successful when copying fewer files at a time. When I copy 300,000
files, rsync's RSS is 50MB after building the file list, and while it
is copying, the RSS rises to about 75MB.

I conclude that rsync actually needs as much as 250 bytes/file. This
explains why 192MB is insufficient when I want to copy 1M files.
--
Ray Lischner, author of C++ in a Nutshell
http://www.tempest-sw.com/cpp