--delete, what am I doing wrong?

Brian McEntire brianm at fsg1.nws.noaa.gov
Wed Apr 21 20:59:19 GMT 2004

Sorry if this is a boneheaded question. I'm stairing at it and can't see
what I'm doing wrong:

On machine B, I'm trying to mirror all of machine A and want to delete
files that have been deleted off A since the last sync. I run:

rsync -av -e ssh --one-file-system --numeric-ids --relative --delete
--exclude-from=/backups/control/all.exclude 'root at A:/ /boot /dev/shm
/sandbox ' /backups/A

/backups/control/all.exclude contains only the following:

/proc/*
/proc/.*
/dev/shm/*
/dev/shm/.*
/sandbox/*
/sandbox/.*
/tmp/*
/tmp/.*

- - -

Rsync copies everything from A, that much is good. But it isn't deleting
anything.

As a test, I created on A:

/test
/test/tmp
/test/tmp/tmp

The first two are directories, the last is an empty file.

I reran the sync command; the /test directory, subdirectory, and file were
copied over as expected.

Then I deleted /test/tmp/tmp from A. Reran the sync with the command
above but, /backups/A/test/tmp/tmp was not deleted on B.

It is as if the --delete parameter was not recognized.

Any ideas?  Thanks!!
  Brian