(no subject)

Brian Cross bcross at incyte.com
Sun Apr 18 19:29:50 GMT 2004

All,

I've never used rsync before.  I'm trying to using rsync to backup some
data between different
Sun platforms running Solaris 8.  The documentation at
http://rsync.samba.org <http://rsync.samba.org/>  is very
limited.

A older version of rsync is running on system A (2.5.7), while a newer
version of rsync is
running on system B (2.6.0).  I've tried to used the following rsync
commands to backup
data between systems:

rsync -avz /<directory_path>/dumps.tar eln-test:/backup1/cmprd/
rsync    -avz    --ssh="ssh    -l    bcross"
/<directory_path>/dumps.tar eln-test:/backup1/cmprd/

I've also noticed that there is no rsyncd.conf file on both systems.  Do
I need to have this
to make the rsync command work.  This is a production machine and I
can't just change edit
system files whenever I want.  I get the idea from a co-worker that
someone from my company
had rsync working the way it's installed now.

When I try executing the commands above I get the following error:

permission denied
rsync: connection unexpectedly closed (0 bytes read so far)
rsync error: error in rsync protocol data stream (code 12) at io.c(165)

Brian M. Cross