cp -al issues

Max Kipness mkipness at geniant.com
Mon Apr 12 15:18:53 GMT 2004

Hi,

I'm having some strange issues when using cp in my rsync script. It
seems there may be links breaking or something.

Before running the actual rsync I run the following command in my
script:

cp -al /backup/Current /backup/$prevday

Then I rsync from the source to /Current

So shouldn't all my previous days have hard links back to the original
/backup directory?

Sometimes the /backup directory will end up holding only around 200mb of
data, and one of the date directories will end up holding the bulk of
the 37GB, should this happen? Shouldn't /Current always have the actual
copy (37Gb)?

Here is the results of du from the last two days. The first day it seems
normal because there was about 1.4Gb of changes, but on the second day
4-8-2004 now has changed to 9.1Gb and Current is only 29Gb?? Strange.
Does this mean that 4-8-2004 is no longer properly hard-linked to
/Current?

Would there be any difference using --link-destination in rsync and not
using cp at all?

[root at gfi backup]# du --max-depth=1 -h
37G     ./Current
1.4G    ./04-08-2004
26M     ./04-09-2004
38G     .

[root at gfi backup]# du --max-depth=1 -h
29G     ./Current
9.1G    ./04-08-2004
211M    ./04-09-2004
26M     ./04-10-2004