Running rsync without ssh

Eric Whiting ewhiting at amis.com
Fri Apr 2 17:18:42 GMT 2004

If you are moving data across a  network then you need a network transport
mechanism. If you specify a user at host:dir in the source or destination then you
need a transport.  ssh is the default transport in 2.5.7. If you want to use rsh
then you must specify -e rsh. (or another mechanism)

If you are syncing locally without going from one system to another then you do
not need a -e flag and you will not have the user at host:dir specification --
simple two path names.

eric