Rsync and filename codepages

Dylan Cuthbert dylan at q-games.com
Tue Sep 16 13:50:24 EST 2003

Hi there

These are the kind of error reports I get from my cron job running rsync:
(the filenames show up as perfectly ok japanese filenames in this mail and
when I browse the linux harddisk via samba)

stat ntprofile/shin/Favorites/???? : No such file or directory
mkstemp ntprofile/shin/Favorites/???? failed: No such file or directory
stat ntprofile/shin/Favorites/???? : No such file or directory
rsync error: some files could not be transferred (code 23) at
/tmp/rsync-2.5.6/main.c(1045)

These files are copied onto linux via a samba share (which is the domain
user profile login share as I use linux as my PDC).

Then I am rsync'ing these files from that share to another windows box which
I use to make DVD backups from.  (out of a good 6 gig of files I only get
those two errors)

Would it be useful to have rsync support optional codepage translation for
filenames because it is seemingly used to transfer between remote systems
that might have different character sets etc. (and I've seen several
unanswered posts in the archives asking about this)

Regards

Q-Games, Dylan Cuthbert.
http://www.q-games.com