continuing broken pipe problems

Jim Salter jsalter at jrssystems.net
Mon Sep 8 13:32:24 EST 2003

> What you describe is that the sender is dying but you don't
> get a message from it as to why.  Start by looking in the
> rsyncd log file.  If that doesn't yield an informative
> message try pushing the transfer (run it on the other system
> with the args switched) then you should see an error
> message.

Sep  7 21:20:09 ph34r rsyncd[37881]: rsync: writefd_unbuffered failed to
write 4096 bytes: phase "unknown": Broken pipe
Sep  7 21:20:09 ph34r rsyncd[37881]: rsync error: error in rsync protocol
data stream (code 12) at io.c(515)
Sep  7 21:21:08 ph34r rsyncd[37882]: rsync: writefd_unbuffered failed to
write 4096 bytes: phase "unknown": Broken pipe
Sep  7 21:21:08 ph34r rsyncd[37882]: rsync error: error in rsync protocol
data stream (code 12) at io.c(515)
Sep  7 21:36:30 ph34r rsyncd[37883]: rsync: writefd_unbuffered failed to
write 4096 bytes: phase "unknown": Broken pipe
Sep  7 21:36:30 ph34r rsyncd[37883]: rsync error: error in rsync protocol
data stream (code 12) at io.c(515)

That's what comes from grepping /var/log/messages for rsync on the machine
running the rsync daemon.  It looks like it's harfing several times before
finally dying irrevocably.  Does it help you any?  It leaves me just as
mystified as I was before.

... but I got suspicious and changed out the NIC on the client machine.
 Yup - it works fine all day long for "normal use", but if you ask it to
squeeze several gigs of data through it without ever once resetting the
connection, it harfs and dies.  Not really an rsync problem at all, except
in that rsync is apparently FAR less tolerant of network problems than ftp
or smbclient.

Thanks for your help.

Jim Salter
JRS System Solutions