doing an md5sum rsync?

Marc MERLIN marc at merlins.org
Mon Sep 8 03:23:10 EST 2003

I don't know if this has been requested before, but I would really like for
rsync to compute an md5sum for each file at the source and destination (with
a flag turned off by default of course), and it would realize that I renamed
files at the source by noticing a matching md5sum between different
filenames
It would then rename the destination instead of deleting it and resending the
entire source, just because the filename changed.
This would also take care of me moving files between directory trees, and
again do a mv instead of a delete/resend (if I rsync the root of all that of
course)

Or is this possible already?

Thanks,
Marc