Cygwin/rsync/ssh automation problems

Olivier Kaloudoff kalou at kalou.net
Fri Oct 3 19:46:08 EST 2003

On Thu, 2 Oct 2003, Josh Endries wrote:

>Hey all,
>
>I have a problem I can't find a solution for. I am on my third day of testing,
>researching, planning, and swearing. :) I need to set up a convenient way to
>synchronize a bunch of data over the network for backups. The server is
>FreeBSD and the client is Windows. Currently we are using PuTTY, Pageant, and
>PSCP to SCP the files over SSH. This has various problems which led me to look
>for better ways to synchronize the files, so of course I am looking into
>rsync! I am having considerable trouble getting this to work in an automated
>way because of the requirements:
>
>	* Windows client -> FreeBSD server

To synchronise files between Windows and unix, you might
take a look at Unison:

http://www.cis.upenn.edu/~bcpierce/unison/

Unison is a file-synchronization tool for Unix and Windows. (It also works
on OSX to some extent, but it does not yet deal with 'resource forks'
correctly; more information on OSX usage can be found on the unison-users
mailing list archives.) It allows two replicas of a collection of files
and directories to be stored on different hosts (or different disks on the
same host), modified separately, and then brought up to date by
propagating the changes in each replica to the other.

Olivier