Rsyncing Problem with - character!

Tom Freeman tom.freeman at eduserv.org.uk
Fri May 30 20:06:51 EST 2003

Dear Rsync Users,
Please can I have a bit of rsync advice?

I am trying to rsync a file called.

'Draft text - with Holley comments.doc' from machine a to machine b.

Unfortunately this isn't working because I think rsync recognises the -
character and thinks it's an option.

I have tried escaping this out as well as putting it all in " " but
neither seems to work though...

This is the command I am running and the message I am getting.

rsync: on remote machine: -: unknown option
rsync error: syntax or usage error (code 1) at main.c(875)
rsync: connection unexpectedly closed (0 bytes read so far)
rsync error: error in rsync protocol data stream (code 12) at io.c(150)

/usr/bin/rsync --rsh=/usr/local/openssh/bin/ssh -avu --delete
"/export/home/tdf/Draft text \- with Holley comments.doc"
root at mymachine.mydomain.com:/home/tdf/Draft text \- with Holley
comments.doc

Any ideas what I can do to make this work?

Cheers,
Tom