Interactive Rsync Authentication Problem

Carson Gaspar carson at taltos.org
Thu May 29 06:14:54 EST 2003

--On Wednesday, May 28, 2003 13:26:17 -0400 Andrew Klein
<andy at progress.com> wrote:

> I believe J.W. Schultz replied to this but I lost it since I was not yet
> fully subscribed to the list. He rightly suggested that the a portable
> getpass() would be non-trivial.  An alternate suggestion though:  Solaris
> has a getpassphrase() call that returns up to 256 chars.  The configure
> script could check if the function exists and do an appropriate #define.
> Then authenticate.c can be made a bit be smarter in a generally portable
> way.

getpassphrase() is definitely worth using. OpenSSH also has a portable
readpassphrase() that you could steal.

I love the fact that the man page for getpass() under Linux says "don't use
this", but does not provide any alternative. Mmmm... Linux - it's so
secure! ;-)

--
Carson