release date for rsync 2.5.7?

Manish Dubey mdubey at yahoo.com
Fri May 2 10:36:57 EST 2003

--- jw schultz <jw at pegasys.ws> wrote:
> On Thu, May 01, 2003 at 11:53:35AM -0700, Manish
> Dubey wrote:
> > I am looking to upgrade to latest version of
> rsync.
> > However there are some critical bug fixes (for my
> > needs) that have been commited to CVS post 2.5.6
> > release.
> >
> > Can anyone tell me how i can find out the release
> > schedule for 2.5.7? I looked around at rsync home
> page
> > and did not see how i can access schedule/timeline
> for
> > official releases.
> >
> > I can work with latest in CVS if the release date
> is
> > too far out, else i would like to use offical
> release.
>
> There is no release schedule.  Releases are made
> when the
> rsync team feels the code is stable, has enough
> changes to
> merit a release or enough bugfixes to make current
> obsolete,
> and an rsync developer willing to spend the time
> doing a
> release.
>
> Which bugfix is your motivation?  We'll consider
> your imput
> as a vote for a release.

I am specifically interested in the bug fix for
--link-dest when rsync is invoked without the flags
preserve permissions/ownership.

Also, since you are accepting my input. I would also
like to request a minor feature :-). What will it take
to have rsync create remote subdirectory tree
recursively?

something like:

rsync some/local/files/*
remote:/some/non/exist/dir/path/

Looks like someone asked for this in FAQ-o-matic too.

http://rsync.samba.org/fom-serve/cache/213.html