File name too long

Paul Slootman paul at debian.org
Tue Mar 11 19:16:24 EST 2003

On Mon 10 Mar 2003, jw schultz wrote:

> Overall it looks like it should be an improvement.  Getting
> rid of all that code duplication is a real gain.
>
> The one thing that bothers me, also present in the current
> code is the bit of changing and then restoring fname.  That
> complicates the code in ways that are prone to induce human
> error (a problem with my hack).  It would be better to just
> use a scratch char array.

I thought about that, but I learnt programming when 16kB total RAM still
meant something :-), so I always try to program as efficiently as
possible. Copying up to 4kB of data around (MAXPATHLEN) when that can be
avoided makes me feel bad...  It's relatively localized in this case, so
it shouldn't be too big a problem. Besides, the original code also did
it :-)

Paul Slootman