rsync transfer efficiency

jw schultz jw at pegasys.ws
Fri Mar 7 13:54:54 EST 2003

On Fri, Mar 07, 2003 at 10:29:36AM +0800, Li, Junru(Christina) wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Does anyone have the data of the rsync transfer speed vs. other tools like ftp?
> Or where is the place to find such information that compare the transfer speed
> between different tools?
>
> If I were to transfer a single large file, say 500Mega Byte, previously
> non-existent on the remote host, what would be the fastest tool I can choose for
> transfer?

If you are on a dialup connection the fastest is to send a
CD-R overnight express.

Do you care if the file is corrupted in transit?  If so you
need to factor in robust checksumming at both ends or use a
protocol like rsync that has that built in.

Until you get a network between 60Mb and 3500Mb the network
is the bottleneck.  There isn't going to be much variation
in actual transfer speed under normal conditions.  Some
tools might send tiny packets and the window-size could
become an issue on high latency links.

While rsync can be used as a transfer tool that isn't its
main function.  The real value of rsync is for synchronizing
two copies of the same file(set).  Many other tools may
transfer the file faster than rsync the first time.

	email address:		jw at pegasys.ws

		Remember Cernan and Schmitt