[librsync-devel] Re: state of the rsync nation? (revisited 6/2003 from 11/2000)

Martin Pool mbp at samba.org
Fri Jun 13 11:09:24 EST 2003

On 13 Jun 2003, Martin Pool <mbp at samba.org> wrote:

> > Why run this _only_ over TCP? Obviously you don't want to re-invent TCP/IP
> > error handling, but the protocol shouldn't rely on such a system. File
> > transfer can potentially run connectionless.
>
> It sounds like you're talking about something like NFS (XDR-RPC) that
> can run over UDP or TCP?

Having said that

Leaving out unnecessary dependencies is fine, but I wouldn't want to
actually add new code, protocol or design features unless there was
something it was useful for.

I think if NFS was being done now, people would just use TCP and be
done with it.  The v4 spec recommends this.  On modern hardware for
this sort of application TCP performance is fine.

--
Martin