Minor problem with unwritable directories

Elijah P Newren newren at math.utah.edu
Sun Jun 1 13:35:44 EST 2003

On Sat, 2003-05-31 at 21:30, Assar Westerlund wrote:
> Elijah P Newren <newren at math.utah.edu> writes:
> > P.S. If it isn't a bug, could someone describe to me why this is
> > expected behavior?  I asked the sysadmin about it and he says it looks
> > like a bug to him.
>
> Well, there is a reason for this behaviour.  Rsync has to create the
> destination directories with write permission for the user, otherwise
> it will have a hard time creating files in those directories.  The
> permissions are reset to no write permission later.

Yes, I understand that.  But why can't rsync go back and set the
modification time (and anything else that might be necessary)
appropriately so that an exact mirror is created instead of an
approximate one?

Thanks for the reply,
Elijah

Elijah Newren
Internet: http://www.math.utah.edu/~newren   newren at math.utah.edu
Tired of pop-up webpages when surfing the internet?  Look at
   http://www.math.utah.edu/~newren/noPopUps.html
for how to get rid of them without spending a penny.