rsync 2.5.6 globbing bug

Alan Burlison Alan.Burlison at sun.com
Thu Jul 31 08:39:06 EST 2003

Wayne Davison wrote:

> The best way to do this is to use a starting dir, the --recursive
> option, and then exclude all subdirs:
>
> rsync -av exclude='*/' host::module/path/ .

That works (thanks), but isn't exactly intuitive ;-)

> Since the arg-list created for file globbing is allocated memory extra
> to the file list that will be created for the transfer, it's certainly
> more efficient to use the aforementioned exclusion method.  The current
> limit of 1000 files seems rather arbitrary, but I'm not sure that it
> really needs to be made larger than this (given that there are ways to
> work around the limit).  You can feel free to disagree, if you like --
> let me know your reasons, if you do.

Hew so more efficient?  The glob code doesn't have to descend into any
subdirs, and will only expand to the list of required files, rather than
having to expand the list then filter it with excludes.

If you are really worried about memory you could malloc say a 64-entry argv
and realloc by powers of 2 - that would actually use *less* memory than the
current mechanism in the default case of relatively small directories.

The root of my concern is that if people have a large leaf directory they
wouldn't expect to have to specify --recurse and --exclude just to copy the
contents, and the diagnostics returned when it fails are completely opaque -
in this case I had to resort to a debugger to find out what the root cause
was.  I can't see that it is reasonable to expect to have to debug rsync to
find out that my directory is too big for rsync to cope with.

The problem can be made to go away entirely with a relatively code minor
change, which will be one less cause of the "rsync: connection unexpectedly
closed" problems that people hit so often, and in addition I'm happy to
submit a patch, so minimal work is involved for anyone else.

--
Alan Burlison