rsync 2.5.6 globbing bug

Alan Burlison Alan.Burlison at sun.com
Thu Jul 31 07:44:37 EST 2003

$ rsync -auv \
ftp.funet.fi::CPAN/modules/by-category/05_Networking_Devices_IPC/Net/* . \
| grep -v MOTD:

rsync: connection unexpectedly closed (1598 bytes read so far)
rsync error: error in rsync protocol data stream (code 12) at io.c(165)

This is because the array used to hold the expanded filename glob (argv in
rsync_module(), clientserver.c) is only 1000 entries in size, and the above
archive directory contains more than 1000 files.  argv should probably be
allocated with malloc and grown as necessary with realloc.  I'm happy to
submit a patch if that is acceptable.

Please reply direct as I'm not ton the mailing list,

Thanks,

--
Alan Burlison