Rebuilding rsync to define HAVE_OFFSET64_T

Leaw, Chern Jian chern.jian.leaw at intel.com
Wed Jul 16 13:54:31 EST 2003

HI JW,
I tried building rsync version 2.5.6. However when transferring the file to another machine (also with a rsync 2.5.6 built), it still produced the error message "Value too large for defined data type" shown below:

% du -sk bigFile3
2402348 bigFile3

% /pgadm1/adm/cleaw/rsync/rsync-2.5.6/rsync --version
rsync  version 2.5.6  protocol version 26
Copyright (C) 1996-2002 by Andrew Tridgell and others
<http://rsync.samba.org/>
Capabilities: 32-bit files, socketpairs, hard links, symlinks, batchfiles,
              IPv6, 32-bit system inums, 64-bit internal inums

rsync comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.  This is free software, and you
are welcome to redistribute it under certain conditions.  See the GNU
General Public Licence for details.

% /pgadm1/adm/cleaw/rsync/rsync-2.5.6/rsync -avz --rsync-path=/pgadm1/ad
m/cleaw/rsync/rsync-2.5.6/rsync /tmp/SYNC/bigFile3 /pgadm1/adm/cleaw
building file list ... link_stat /tmp/SYNC/bigFile3 : Value too large for defined data type
done
wrote 25 bytes  read 20 bytes  90.00 bytes/sec
total size is 0  speedup is 0.00
rsync error: some files could not be transferred (code 23) at main.c(620)

How do I check if rsync version 2.5.6 is using stat64, instead of stat32? From the output generated from the version, it displayed:
Capabilities: 32-bit files, socketpairs, hard links, symlinks, batchfiles,
              IPv6, 32-bit system inums, 64-bit internal inums
I'm not sure if this output indicates version 2.5.6 is still using stat32, instead of stat64?

If it is not using stat64, is there a way which I could build version 2.5.6 with stat64, or to at least compile with HAVE_OFFSET64_T?

May I know which file contains the  HAVE_OFFSET64_T option which needs to be set/uncommented?

Thanks in advance.
CJ