opendir(somedir/somefile): Not enough space -- why?

Bill Geddes bill_geddes at agilent.com
Fri Jan 24 18:55:01 EST 2003

I am attempting to use rsync to copy a large filesystem from an
HP-UX server to a Linux server with more than enough filespace.
This operation fails.  A small directory from the same HP-UX server
can be transfered just as expected.

The HP-UX server is the source.  It has 1Gb RAM - the output of bdf for
the volume the source files is on is:

Filesystem          kbytes    used   avail %used Mounted on
/dev/vg02/apps     61440000 52722896 8652256   86% /apps

On the target Linux server, I have 1Gb RAM and 1TB of free space:

/dev/tcvg1/tcvol1    1007898916     33408 956667148   1% /vol1

I have "apps" configured properly as a service in the rsyncd.conf file.
I started rsync in daemon mode on the HP-UX server, and from the Linux
server I invoked:

rsync  --numeric-ids -vvva root at hpuxsrv::apps /vol1/asic_apps/

The file list get transferred, but then I just get repeated lines of errors:
recv_file_name(some_dir/fm_v200209)
opendir(some_dir/fm_v200209): Not enough space

I have tried with --blocking-io and --no-blocking-io, with --bwlimitXXX.
Same problem each time.

Any insight is appreciated.

--
Bill Geddes