specifying a list of files to transfer

Wayne Davison wayned at users.sourceforge.net
Sat Jan 18 01:43:00 EST 2003

On Fri, Jan 17, 2003 at 04:21:59PM -0800, jw schultz wrote:
> It should not do /root2/i386/etc/init.d/rsyncd and so on as
> -R would have it.

-R would only do that if you actually prefixed the paths with the source
dir, which is not what happens with --files-from.  The source dir is
just used as the default dir.  So, your example works exactly as you are
expecting.  I.e, this set of commands:

    cd /some/path
    rsync -R `cat /tmp/files` remote:/dest

works much like this new command:

    rsync --files-from=/tmp/files /some/path remote:/dest

Except that it also transfers any named dirs in the input file (without
-r and without recursing).  Note also that this reflects the new default
of -R being enabled by default when --files-from is specified.

If the user wants the extra dirs prefixed from the source spec, they
just need to specify them as part of the dest:

    rsync --files-from=/tmp/files /some/path remote:/dest/some/path

> I hope this points out clearly the difference in our perspectives on
> this.  I am not talking about a way to extend the command line.  I am
> talking about an explicit list that eliminates the tree walk and
> awkwardness of artificial include/exclude lists [...]

Sorry, but I don't see any conflict in our perspectives at all.  Let me
know if I'm missing something.