rsync vs. rcp

va_public <yahoogroups at vikas.mailshell.com> yahoogroups at vikas.mailshell.com
Thu Feb 20 08:53:05 EST 2003

--- In rsync at yahoogroups.com, Donovan Baarda <abo at m...> wrote:
> On Thu, 2003-02-20 at 05:55, va_public  wrote:
>
> RSYNC DOES NOT WORK WITH 1GB+ FILES... unless you have a
sufficiently
> large block size. See the following;
>
> http://www.mail-archive.com/rsync@l.../msg05219.html

OK. I read the thread. Pretty interesting design discussion on rsync
internals.

Has any of it been implemented in 2.5.6? When is it planned to
implement it?

So, bottom line, you are telling me, dont use rsync for my Oracle
database backups?

Thats a bummer. Oracle database files are pretty sparse and, at a
block level, very few things change, so I was hoping that
using 'rsync' instead of 'rcp' to do my daily backups would be
IMMENSELY faster.

As per the final messages on the thread, just increasing the csum
from 2 to 4 bytes seemed to miraculously solve the problem, right? So
why isnt this patch being included?

Thanks