Connecting two rsync clients

George Hazlewood george at layer1.co.uk
Mon Feb 10 23:09:59 EST 2003

Hi,

Firstly a quick intro, I'm a web developer/linux admin who's trying to
setup automated backups for a client.  I really like the look of rsync
and I know it'll do what I want if I can get it to ;)

I've spent some time playing with rsync trying to get it to do what I
want but I keep getting stumped.  The situation is simple, webserver
(master) with various files that need backing up (usual config files, a
tar of the dbs on the machine, and all the html gubbins).  The
destination machine, a remote (i.e. off network, backup) machine which I
have shell access to which is purely used for backups.  I want to set
rsync to run from cron daily to backup any changed files to the remote
machine so that should anything disasterous happen, e.g. client
stupidity, I can recover files.

I'd assumed after reading the docs that I would be able to do a
client->client backup.  I don't have access to setup rsyncd on the
remote machine so I tried connecting two clients.  Am I correct in
trying this?  All the work is done from the master machine (running the
rsync client from cron) and files to backup are pushed at the backup
machine.  That's what I thought anyway.  I tried using the following
shell to make things easier to change and run.

<snip>

/usr/local/bin/rsync -vcrlnptgoxRz --delete -e ssh \
--include-from=/usr/local/rsync/include.conf \
--exclude-from=/usr/local/rsync/exclude.conf --stats --progress \
/etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf \
/home/bind/etc/ \
/usr/local/mysql_backup/currentbackup.tar.gz \
/home/httpd/hosts \
/etc/opt/awstats /var/cache/awstats \
  george@<remotemachinehere>.com:/home/george/backup/

</snip>

And running that gets this:

building file list ...
xxx files to consider
ERROR: destination must be a directory when copying more than 1 file
rsync error: errors selecting input/output files, dirs (code 3) at
main.c(274)
rsync: connection unexpectedly closed (8 bytes read so far)
rsync error: error in rsync protocol data stream (code 12) at io.c(150)
./rsync.sh: george@<remotemachinehere>.com:/home/george/backup/: No such
file or directory

Assuming that client to client doesn't work can I do server->client
where the client pulls the data from the server (on the master machine)?

I think I've confused myself too much, I've been trying to do it in a
hurry which is never good.

Can anyone help explain where I'm going wrong please?

Thanks in advance

George

--
Layer1