Latest --files-from patch

Andrew J. Schorr aschorr at telemetry-investments.com
Fri Feb 7 02:40:01 EST 2003

Hi Wayne,

On Sat, Jan 18, 2003 at 10:39:55AM -0800, Wayne Davison wrote:
> Cool.  Thanks for trying it out.  If you do a significant amount of
> testing, please let me know so that I can judge when the code has been
> shaken down enough for general use.  I'm going to do some larger tests
> soon myself.

FYI, I'm now using yesterday's CVS tree (which includes your files-from patch)
in production.  Thanks, it seems to work great.

I am having one problem, however, that is not related to the --files-from
feature.  I was having the same problem with 2.5.6 and my own --source-list
patch.  There's one directory tree that craps out almost every time with
this error:

   rsync: writefd_unbuffered failed to write 174 bytes: phase "unknown": Broken pipe
   rsync error: error in rsync protocol data stream (code 12) at ../io.c(622)

Here's the command line I'm using:

  rsync -RlHptgoD --numeric-ids \
    --password-file=/etc/rsync_passwd --files-from=/tmp/file.list \
    --null -z -x --stats . remote_mirror::home/dbase

I am using the same script for several other directory trees, and they
work fine.  What's special about this tree is that it contains more
files (around 30,000 to update) and a handful of them are large
(around 200 MB).

I was previously running the same command using the -e ssh option to
start up the remote rsync server, and the rsync would just hang.  Now
that I'm using an rsync server (started by inetd on the remote side),
I get this error.

Can anybody offer any guidance regarding how to debug the problem?
Based on some -v output, it seems to send the filelist OK and sends
one or more files before failing...

Thanks,
Andy