Change one file, and they all get sent!

Steve Howie showie at uoguelph.ca
Sat Dec 13 03:49:26 EST 2003

Hi,

Just starting out with rsync, and I think I might be missing a
fundamental point of how it works.

Scenario:

I start an rsync daemon on host A, and define a module 'test' on the
rsyncd.conf file. 'test' is essentially my home directory on host A

I then sign on to host B and issue

rsync --progress --recursive --links --stats arthur::test/ /var/tmp/haggis

This copies 'test' from host 'arthur' (host A)  into  /var/tmp/haggis
(on host B)

so far so good. Everything goes to host B no problem.

Next I edit a small file in 'test' on host A, then reissue the rsync
command above. All files are checked and transferred according to the
summary at the end. Am I incorret in assuming that only the delta of the
before and after of the one small file I edited would be sent, rather
than the entire directory tree defined by 'test'?

Remember, I'm using rsync to copy  *from* a host running an rsync
daemon...would this be the issue?

Confused and probably missing something simple .... any ideas?

Thanks!

Scotty