binary copies vs ascii copies

Carniado Rodríguez Claudia ccarniad at banxico.org.mx
Tue Aug 12 04:59:22 EST 2003

I have a question about rsync, which is new for me. Hope you can help me:

I have copied a binary file whose size is about 100 MB using rsync and I noticed that it takes a lot of time.

The same size with a text file wasted really much less time.

That binary file is incremental, i.e. it started with a size of 2 kb and then it grew up.

But now I am confused with the following:

Is the performance of rsync better with no-incremental files?

Is the performance of rsync better with text files?

Is it the best tool for binary-incremental files? And if it is, which parameters do I have to use on rsync?

Thanks in advance for your kindly help.