issue with rsync 2.5.6

jw schultz jw at pegasys.ws
Wed Aug 6 08:49:12 EST 2003

On Tue, Aug 05, 2003 at 05:14:21PM -0500, John Van Essen wrote:
> On Tue, 5 Aug 2003, Bhaskar, Vijay <vbhaskar at Carlson.com>?wrote:
> >Hello,
> >
> >I bumped in to issue with rsync 2.5.6 while doing ?"sync" of large
> >files. Here is the error message....
> >
> >"write failed on cm3.0_hpux11.11_final.tar : Error 0
> >
> >rsync error: error in file IO (code 11) at receiver.c(243)
> >
> >rsync: connection unexpectedly closed (13342 bytes read so far)
> >
> >rsync error: error in rsync protocol data stream (code 12) at io.c(165)"
> >
> >There is lot of free space.
>
> However, you *are* out of free space.   Rsync writes a temporary full
> copy of a file being transferred before renaming it to the true name.
> So you have to have at least as much free space as the largest file
> being transferred.

It is remotely possible that you aren't out of free disk
space but unlikely.  There are circumstances why write can
return from a partial write to a file but they are fairly
rare and all relate to network filesystems.

> If the copy fails due to disk full, the temporary will be deleted, and
> it may *look* like you have lots of free space after rsync finishes,
> wheras you actually ran out of free space while rsync was running.

This limitation can be worked around if necessary by using
a --temp-dir on another filesystem but the performance will
be much poorer because it then needs to perform a disk to
disk transfer instead of a simple rename.

	email address:		jw at pegasys.ws

		Remember Cernan and Schmitt