--whole-file not working ?

jw schultz jw at pegasys.ws
Fri Apr 25 21:08:27 EST 2003

On Fri, Apr 25, 2003 at 04:00:42AM -0700, Satsco wrote:
> Steve,
>
> I dont know much about rsync... but --bwlimit *does*
> work when i rsync from an smbfs mount to a local
> partition. and it works *beautifully*.
>
> net speed of transfer is always reported below the set
> bwlimit.
>
> perhaps the rsync gurus on this list can explain
> how... but i can swear that it does happen.
>
> regards,
> Satsco.

It makes sense that it works.  Rsync isn't disabling the
--bwlimit option just because the source and destination are
both local.  Look at the manpage to see that --bwlimit
has nothing to do with what the fd is connected to and
everything to do with actual data transfers.

Of course even with the bandwidth limited it will be much
faster talking to an rsync process running on the remote
machine than localy on SMB.  An order of magnitude faster if
you don't use --whole-file and --ignore-times.  But i can
understand running on SMB if you don't manage the other
system.