unexplained error (code 255) at main.c(1045)

Madole, Dave BGI SF Dave.Madole at barclaysglobal.com
Sat Apr 19 02:31:25 EST 2003

Try using the --blocking-io option.

-----Original Message-----
From: Roy S. Rapoport [mailto:rsync at ols.inorganic.org]
Sent: Monday, April 14, 2003 11:10 AM
To: rsync at lists.samba.org
Subject: Re: unexplained error (code 255) at main.c(1045)

On Mon, 14 Apr 2003, Eric Whiting wrote:
> I see the same thing with rsync 2.5.6 over Solaris 9 and ssh. I changed to
using
> rsh and the error goes away. Not a good long term solution, but useful for
> debug.
>
> Something is goofy with the rsync and solaris 9 ssh -- timing or process
> termination problem?

FWIW, the issue here seems to definitely be the SSH included in Solaris 9,
rather than Solaris 9 and its interaction with SSH.  In other words, I tried
using OpenSSH (3.6p1) on Solaris 9, and it gave no problems -- so there's a
slightly better long-term solution, until Sun gets around to doing something
about it (or rsync works around it).

-roy