ssh and root priviledge

Emmanuel Blot eblotml at free.fr
Tue Apr 1 05:34:17 EST 2003

Hi,

What is the recommanded practice to synchronize a remote host using rsync, which is only
accessible through an SSH connection which -does not- allow root login ?

For security reasons, the remote host only allows non-privileged user to log on. Therefore, the
directories/files which are not accessible from the loggged account cannot be read/synchronized.

Is it possible to use a rsync server or any other work around to accomplish the synchronization
within such a environment ?

I did not find the answer to this question in the FAQs. Perhaps I've missed it... Please let me
know if this question has already been answered and where I could find it. I'm a newbie with
rsync.

Thanks,
Manu.