rsync 2.5.5 segmentation fault on Linux x86.

Erik Enge eenge at prium.net
Tue Oct 1 18:32:00 EST 2002

Paul Haas <paulh at hamjudo.com> writes:

> This isn't specific to rsync.

I must be missing something.  The fact that rsync segfaults isn't
specific to rsync?

We run tens of thousands of cronjobs a week and none of them have so far
segfaulted.

However, since I can't make it segfault on the command-line, I agree
that something else is probably affecting it.  I've also tried
reproducing it, but it doesn't seem to want to segfault.

I am going to add bunches of debug information to the real cronjob that
runs this night to see if that will reveal anything.

> Then I run it once interactively and once through cron and compare
> stuff.
>
> Usually it's pretty obvious which environment variable is the problem.

Thanks for the tip.

I did that, but couldn't find anything that was very different.  It
seems like you are saying that you can make rsync segfault depending on
what environment variables you have set; which ones would these be?

Erik.