RFE: using rsync as a backup tool (preserve access time & com press destination files) ?

tim.conway at philips.com tim.conway at philips.com
Fri Nov 15 23:17:00 EST 2002

The way gnutar "preserves" atime is by noting it before the read, and
setting it back after the read, thus wiping out a legitimate setting of
atime occuring during that interval.
Yeah, the netapps mess with unix times.  Did you notice that mtime and
ctime always match?
Now that I know you're on a netapp, though, your problems are solved.
Snapshot and sync from the snapshot, then expire the snapshot if your data
is rapidly-changing, so it doesn't hold a bunch of old space.

Also, I just mounted up a netapp readonly (on a system also mounting same
directory readwrite elsewhere).  even though it's readonly, the netapp
sees the read and updates atime... however, I still like the snapshot
idea.

Tim Conway
conway.tim at spilihp.com reorder name and reverse domain
303.682.4917 office, 303.921.0301 cell
Philips Semiconductor - Longmont TC
1880 Industrial Circle, Suite D
Longmont, CO 80501
Available via SameTime Connect within Philips, caesupport2 on AIM
"There are some who call me.... Tim?"

Gilles-Eric Descamps <Gilles-Eric.Descamps at SiliconAccess.com>
11/15/02 03:50 PM