Unexpected results

Matthew Bettinger mbettinger at championelevators.com
Fri Nov 1 18:24:01 EST 2002

Hello,

I am trying to get rsync to work on a freebsd machine that has two windows
shares mounted via mount_smbfs.

here is what I have:

//ADMINISTRATOR at SOLID-EDGE/DWG on /solid_edge (smbfs)

3d_Model                        IPDS
Admin                           Working
Draft Conversions to Dwg        _Pend Rel Dfts
Engdwg                          _SE_Crash Logs
Fixtures(Jigs)

//ADMINO5 at EMSCOR_ENG_NT/DWG on /ech_nt (smbfs)

Datasht                         Wall Tie LSP
Design Space Work               Walltie Program
E.C.N.-E.R.N                    Working
Ecn-Log-Temp                    _Pend Rel Dwgs (2000)
Eng Reports-Data                _Pend Rel Dwgs (2001)
EngCalcs                        _Pend Rel Dwgs (2002)
Engdwg_ACAD                     _Pend Rel Ern_Ecns (2000)
Engineering_Services            _Pend Rel Ern_Ecns (2001)
Engr_Std                        _Pend Rel Erns_Ecns (2002)

I am trying to mirror all of these directories to a directory on the  FreeBSD
machine  /dev/ad3s1e on /Drawings (ufs, local, soft-updates)

I've read the documentation and  ran the rsync and have gotten the majority of
the files anddirectories over to /Drawings

I am running into some problems tho.  Some of the files are getting copied
into themselves By this i mean  i am getting /Drawings/Working/Working.

Some of the directories are not even getting copied at all.  It creates the
directory name but the directory is empty.  One directory that this is
happening in is this DataSht Directory.

Here is the command that I used ( I eventually will write a script to execute
fro cron)

tester# rsync -ravu /ech_nt/DataSht/ /Drawings/DataSht
building file list ... done
./
wrote 40 bytes  read 20 bytes  120.00 bytes/sec
total size is 0  speedup is 0.00
tester#

The DataSht directory is empty.

Basically all I want rsync to do is

Mirrior certain directories from :
//ADMINISTRATOR at SOLID-EDGE/DWG on /solid_edge (smbfs)
//ADMINO5 at EMSCOR_ENG_NT/DWG on /ech_nt (smbfs)

/dev/ad3s1e on /Drawings (ufs, local, soft-updates)

Any changes in files on /solid-edge and /ech_nt should be copied over to the
repective mirrored files on /Drawings.

Thanks for anyhelp.  I've been trying to get this right for the past day (and
getting alot of angry users toboot)

Matt