Incremental backups and batch mode.

Adrian Ho aho-sw-rsync at 03s.net
Sat Mar 30 20:43:46 EST 2002

On Thu, Mar 28, 2002 at 09:06:59PM +0000, Diego Liziero wrote:
> So at every backup the whole 2Gbyte file is saved.

That's exactly what rsync's supposed to do, AIUI.  I would be /very/
upset if it didn't make perfect copies.  8-)

> So I would like to use the rsync algorithm to calculate the differences
> (delta files) for the levels n>0 in the same order dump and tar work
> but saving much more tape space.

You're using the wrong tool -- you want a binary diff program instead.
Run that on your files, then rsync/tar/cp/whatever the diffs.

I don't use it myself, but a Google search for "binary diff" lands
XDelta <http://sourceforge.net/projects/xdelta/>.

- Adrian