Rsync permissions...

Brad rsyncuser at capstone.net.au
Sat Mar 23 07:47:44 EST 2002

I am transferring some files from a RH7.0 machine to a RH7.2 machine as root
with a cron job, using the following:

rsync -avt /home homeserver::home
rsync -avt /etc homeserver::etc

Some of the files transfer OK, but I get:

building file list ... done
failed to set permissions on home : Operation not permitted
home/brad/
home/ftp/bin/
home/ftp/etc/
home/ftp/pub/
home/rsyncuser/
failed to set permissions on home : Operation not permitted
home/brad/
wrote 14591 bytes  read 40 bytes  4180.29 bytes/sec
total size is 1249200945  speedup is 85380.42
@ERROR: chroot failed

I have created the destination home directory as:
drwxrwxrwx   29 root     root         4096 Mar 20 00:07 home

The source home directory is:
4 drwxr-xr-x   28 root     root         4096 Mar 19 15:12 home

When I checked the transferred files permissions inside the destination home
directory, I get:

4 drwx------    4 nobody   nobody       4096 Nov 28  2000 admin
4 drwx------    4 nobody   nobody       4096 Aug 27  2001 arkeia
etc....

so this problem looks like a permissions/ownerships issue of some kind.

According to the rsync documentation, the -a switch contains:

-p, --perms                 preserve permissions
-o, --owner                 preserve owner (root only)
-g, --group                  preserve group
-D, --devices              preserve devices (root only)

So as I understand it, rsync will take all the permissions and ownerships
from the source files and apply them to the destination files, and yet I am
getting "nobody" as a group and owner on the destination files and
directories.

Can anyone shed any light on this?

Regards,
Brad