Excludes not working

Brashers, Bart -- MFG, Inc. Bart.Brashers at mfgenv.com
Wed Mar 20 04:51:18 EST 2002

Hello,

I'm a relative newbie to rsync, I use it to backup (mirror) a bunch of
Windows boxes.  I mount them using samba (to avoid having to install the
cygwin version on each box) then run (using rsync 2.5.2 run from crontab)

 rsync -vuaz --delete-excluded --exclude-from=/root/bin/rsync.exclude \
   --modify-window=2 /mnt/pc/machine/share /backup/machine/share

It works like a charm, except for some excludes that won't work -- rsync
still copies the files.  Here's my exclude file:

 [~/bin]% ls rsync.exclude
 -rw-r--r--    1 root     root          154 Mar  1 09:34 rsync.exclude
 [~/bin]% cat rsync.exclude
 /mnt/pc/machine/D/Music
 System Volume Information/
 RECYCLER
 ffastun*
 Program Files/
 Temporary Internet Files/
 msdownld.tmp/

It's the first line that doesn't work.  I've tried all possible combinations
of leading and trailing slashes, stars, etc, found in the man page:

 /mnt/pc/machine/D/Music
 /mnt/pc/machine/D/Music/
 /mnt/pc/machine/D/Music/*
 /mnt/pc/machine/D/Music/**
 mnt/pc/machine/D/Music
 mnt/pc/machine/D/Music/
 mnt/pc/machine/D/Music/*
 mnt/pc/machine/D/Music/**

The rest (even those with dreaded spaces in the names) work.  But it still
keeps copying and updating this guy's music files (lots of WAVs).

Any hints would be greatly appreciated.

Bart
--
Bart Brashers                   MFG Inc.
Air Quality Meteorologist       19203 36th Ave W Suite 101