Simplest script to backup many Linux servers

Dave Dykstra dwd at bell-labs.com
Fri Mar 15 05:11:00 EST 2002

The only thing you might be able to improve is to split it up into a
small number of separate runs, perhaps based on the top level directory
name.  That may or may not improve your overall time: the reason it might
improve time is that rsync uses up some memory for every file in a run that
it considers; if you are running low on real memory and end up swapping,
that could slow you down considerably.

- Dave Dykstra