still about rsync/ssh"

tim.conway at philips.com tim.conway at philips.com
Fri Jul 12 10:14:34 EST 2002

Wang:  I take it you mean that your mail bounced.  Your domain is probably
in the RBL or something.
The commandline you give is an attempt to contact a rsyncd server.  That
means that the server you're contacting would have /etc/rsyncd.conf, and
either an appropriate entry in /etc/services and /etc/inetd.conf, or would
be started manually with "rsync --daemon".  I'm guessing that's not the
case.  The default port for an rsyncd is 873, so there's no reason to
specify it on your commandline.

There are three transport used by rsync:
local, which uses either shared memory or pipes - my best guess.
tcp connection to an rsyncd server.
tcp connection through an external transport (rsh, ssh).

local probably already works for you.
to use an rsync server, set one up (man rsyncd.conf).  you CAN run it as
non-root, in which case, you will be using the --port= parameter, so you
can designate a port above 1024.
To use an external transport, you must have one that works without a
password.  set it up so you can "rsh server uname -a" or "ssh server uname
-a", and that tells you that you have a working external transport.  After
that condition is satisfied, if you can use the transport to do "rsync
--version", you can do the rsync, if not, you'll need either to get rsync
into your path or specify the location of the remote rsync with
--rsync-path=.

Tim Conway
tim.conway at philips.com
303.682.4917 office, 3039210301 cell
Philips Semiconductor - Longmont TC
1880 Industrial Circle, Suite D
Longmont, CO 80501
Available via SameTime Connect within Philips, n9hmg on AIM
perl -e 'print pack(nnnnnnnnnnnn,
19061,29556,8289,28271,29800,25970,8304,25970,27680,26721,25451,25970),
".\n" '
"There are some who call me.... Tim?"

ÍõÀò <wtwl at hust.edu.cn>
07/11/2002 08:23 PM