Rsync 2.4.6 error : transfer interrupted (code 12) at token.c(255)

tim.conway at philips.com tim.conway at philips.com
Tue Jul 9 16:20:01 EST 2002

I noticed that nobody has responded to you in 4 days, so:
2.4.6 had a lot of stuff to fix, hence the versions that followed.
You shouldn't have any trouble upgrading, unless you run the rsync daemon
directly, rather than from inetd AND have no times where it is not being
used, even for a few seconds, nor can you kill existing transfers and have
them restarted.
The conf file format is unchanged.  Heck, I don't think there were even
new items added, much less old ones deleted or changed.  Make your new
binary, test it, rm or mv the existing one, copy the new one into the old
one's place.  If you're running from inetd, you're done.  new transfers
will use the new binary, old ones will use the old one until they exit. If
you do rsyncd directly, rather than from inetd, you will keep using the
old binary image (the file stays open by the daemon, new ones fork from
the old memory image as needed) until you can kill the root rsyncd.
I'm not sure what happens to child rsyncds when you kill the daemon.  If
they don't die, but go to completion, you just 'kill rsyncdpid ;rsync
--daemon', so you have the daemon die that's running the old binary, and
start a new daemon using the new binary, with near-zero downtime.  If you
can just catch a deadtime on the rsyncd, when you know it's not being
used, that's safest.
There's no need to reboot the server to change the rsync binary.

I don't know if the new version will solve your problem, but before
wasting time trying to fix an in-memory binary, i'd go the the best
currently known compatible version .

Tim Conway
tim.conway at philips.com
303.682.4917 office, 3039210301 cell
Philips Semiconductor - Longmont TC
1880 Industrial Circle, Suite D
Longmont, CO 80501
Available via SameTime Connect within Philips, n9hmg on AIM
perl -e 'print pack(nnnnnnnnnnnn,
19061,29556,8289,28271,29800,25970,8304,25970,27680,26721,25451,25970),
".\n" '
"There are some who call me.... Tim?"

Nicolas.Labarta at AltisSemiconductor.com
Sent by: rsync-admin at lists.samba.org
07/05/2002 01:48 AM