strip setuid/setgid bits on backup (was Re: small security-related rsync extension)

tim.conway at philips.com tim.conway at philips.com
Tue Jul 9 16:05:02 EST 2002

I vote for the consistent, complete log format as a solution to this sort
of thing, and those who need to take non-rsync related actions based on
what rsync did can write their own applications to do so.

People keep coming up with some particular thing they need done for their
own application, and want rsync to do that too.  rsync is a tool to make
one thing exactly like another.  It is not an archiver (keep files
compressed on the receiving end), a file mover (--move-files), two-way
syncronizer, nor a distributed filesystem solution.  It makes two things
the same.  Trying to add unrelated "features" to it just bloats the code
and takes time away from making it more efficient at what it's supposed to
do.

"Yeah, our new model car uses gas exponentially with the distance
traveled, and has to warm up for 1.5 times as long as the trip will take,
but before we work on that, we want to add the dumptruck, palmpilot, and
grapefruit spoon features."

Who cares what we parse the log with?  I, for one, DO think perl is a good
solution.  Text processing was what it was designed for in the first
place.

Tim Conway
tim.conway at philips.com
303.682.4917 office, 3039210301 cell
Philips Semiconductor - Longmont TC
1880 Industrial Circle, Suite D
Longmont, CO 80501
Available via SameTime Connect within Philips, n9hmg on AIM
perl -e 'print pack(nnnnnnnnnnnn,
19061,29556,8289,28271,29800,25970,8304,25970,27680,26721,25451,25970),
".\n" '
"There are some who call me.... Tim?"