rsync 2.5.5 consuming memory and spirals server down

Werner Maier maier at fidion.de
Mon Jul 8 10:55:02 EST 2002

Hi there,

I've a problem with rsync - see below.
(by the way: I'm using rsync since 2 years now, good work!)

my environment:

- linux, 2.4, Dual-PIII-1.2GHz, 1 GB RAM. more of these machines.
- rsync 2.5.5
- openssh 3.3

the machines are on a lan, so bandwith is not a problem.

I sync large directories (about 6 GB growing) between the machines,
no problem - memory consumtion of rsync is normal if not pressed cntrl-c,
see below.

for rsync I use

rsync -cvrlpgo \
      --delete \
      --exclude=... \
      [more of them]
      -e ssh \
      server:/path /path

machines are configured to do rsa-pubkey authentication on ssh, so
this can be done by a cron job.

but: if I try it manually and stop rsync using cntrl-C, while
it prints "receiving file list..." the rsync server process
on the other machine immediately grabbs all memory
in seconds (about 100 Meg per Second), spiraling the machine down
if 2 Gig swap and 1 Gig RAM are used.

But the best (Coders will be happy): it comes EVERY time I use cntrl-C,
even if it's a very small directory to sync.

any hints? (maybe setting ulimit for this ssh-connection could help,
I haven't tried it yet - just discovered the "bug/strange behaviour"
in my environment quite now and have been able to reproduce it).

If You need additional info, I'll try to provide it.

best regards.

Werner Maier.
Werner Maier, Dipl.-Ing. Univ.        E-Mail: maier at fidion.de
fidion GmbH                           Berner Straße 2, 97084 Würzburg