Moving files revisited

Wayne Davison wayned at users.sourceforge.net
Thu Jan 24 13:24:39 EST 2002

I'd like to revisit the topic of moving files from system to system
using rsync.  I've just updated my patch from its 2.5.0 version to
2.5.1, and I'm curious what people think about getting it integrated
into rsync.

The patch comes in two parts.  The first eliminates a potential hang
condition that can happen if the data channel from the receiver to the
generator gets clogged up.  Since my move-files patch is using this
channel to communicate when a file gets successfully written to disk
(from the receiver to the sender via the generator), it needs to ensure
that this hang cannot happen.  The fix is rather complicated (because
the generator is doing a lot of reading and writing of other data), but
I've been using this patch in production conditions for quite a few
months now and haven't encountered any problems yet.  Here's the nohang
patch:

    http://www.clari.net/~wayne/rsync-nohang.patch

The second part of the equation actually adds the --move-files option,
the communication of the receiver back to the sender of which file was
successfully finished, and the actual unlinking of the source file:

    http://www.clari.net/~wayne/rsync-move-files.patch

Comments?