problem with --delete if I sync part of a dir

Palmans Pepijn pepijn at kangaroot.net
Tue Jan 15 20:01:59 EST 2002

Hi,

I'm using rsync for a couple of things but I am at a point where I could not find a solution for my problem.

this is what I want to do:

rsync only the files i_* from a directory from machine A to machine Bi and delete them from machine B if they on longer exist on machine A.

so I use the command:

rsync -azv --stats -e ssh --delete i_* user at host:/dir/

When using this command the files starting with i_ will get placed on the remote server or even updated when I change them but if I delete a file on machine A it will not be deleted on machine B.
This is only a problem if I use i_* as my source.  If i sync whole directories (recursive or not) it's no problem at all to get files deleted on the other end.

Is there anything to do about this ?

Regards,

Pepijn Palmans

Kangaroot Linux Solutions