Error in rsync that I don't understand..

Sri Ramkrishna sramkris at ichips.intel.com
Tue Jan 15 08:38:10 EST 2002

On Mon, Jan 14, 2002 at 03:20:18PM -0600, Dave Dykstra wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 14, 2002 at 10:01:31AM -0800, Sri Ramkrishna wrote:
> >
> > [I wish the list archives were searchable, this most likely is a repeat
> > question]
>
> You can use google to search using the keywords
>     site:lists.samba.org rsync keys_to_search_for

Thanks!  I wasn't really complaining, I had gone through the web page and I did
see a link for search but it went to the mailman list page with no opportunity
to do any searches there.  Thats why I said something about it.

> > We have a set of cron jobs that do regular rsyncs mirroring two trees.  This
> > has been pretty stable.  Over the weekend, almost all of them broke with this
> > message:
> >
> > rresvport: bind: Permission denied
> > (15728) Error reading 4 bytes : EOF
> >
> > Under what conditions does this error occur?  It looks like it couldn't
> > bind to a port because it wasn't allowed to.  But I'm not certain if
> > thats the correct translation.
>
> I don't think that message is coming from rsync.  The strings "rresvport"
> and "Error reading" don't occur anywhere in the source code.

The error is coming from a system call on HPUX 11.0.  The rresvport according
to the man page is a system call that binds a reserved port.  This is failing
because a) the rsync command is running under a normal user and b) the
rresvport refers to binding a reserved port.  So indirectly something in rsync
might be calling this through a common rsh function??

Now, I've done local checks like rsh hostname ls or something to see if those
common programs work but those seems fine.  Any other ideas?

sri