rsync w/ openssh hangs on linux

Dave Dykstra dwd at bell-labs.com
Sat Jan 5 06:45:39 EST 2002

On Fri, Jan 04, 2002 at 11:29:13AM -0800, J Robinson wrote:
> Hello All:
>
> I've having repeatable problems copying files between
> linux machines using rsync-2.5.1 and various recent
> flavors of openssh.  The symptom when testing with a
> single 2M file is that rsync hangs when when the file
> is 97% transferred.
>
> It seems from looking at various archives that this
> problem may be non-trivial.  I tried applying the
> patch at
> http://www.clari.net/~wayne/rsync-nohang.patch to
> rsync-2.5.1, (even though it's for 2.5.0) but it
> didn't seem to make things any better.
>
> I'm wondering if there are any tips to get around this
> problem or ???

I don't believe anybody else has reported a problem quite like that
lately.  First, give us the output of netstat -a on both sides for the
relevant connection so we can see if there is data in a send queue
somewhere that's not being sent; that could indicate a TCP implementation
problem which rsync has a great tendency to expose because of the way it
stresses TCP.  Please try to give us as much information as you can so
somebody else could possibly repeat it, including exact versions of all
software involved on both sides, the speed of your network, and the exact
command you're using.

- Dave Dykstra