rsync error: error in rsync protocol data stream (code 12) at io.c(140)

Andrew McGregor Andrew.McGregor at amtrak.co.uk
Thu Feb 28 21:11:24 EST 2002

Dave Dykstra wrote:

> The rsync code that prints that error on line 270 of receiver.c is printing
> strerror(errno), and that error message "Success:12" looks very strange to
> me.  If the 12 indicates errno, that's an ENOMEM error.  Is your system out
> of virtual address space?  Maybe it is so low on memory that it's printing
> the default error message "Success" rather the real one.  An argument against
> the out-of-virtual-memory theory is that I don't see write_file() calling
> malloc as a side effect anywhere.  Maybe the kernel itself is out of memory.
>
> - Dave

Hi,

I'm unsure as to how I would test the above - but there were no other
system
messages, and nothing in the logs.  Although with reference to 'virtual
address space' I am concerned about any possible memory leaks somewhere
in
the system. Having said that the system was otherwise functioning as
normal.

Yes, it was writing to the root file system.

I am unable to reproduce the error unless the partition is full.  My
target
platform is Solaris as Debian/i386 is just my devpt box, so I will try
reproduce the error there.

Providing I don't manage to reproduce the error on Solaris, I will be
satisfied
with the result, but are there any further tests anybody would like me
to do
on my Debian server to try and get to the bottom of it?

Thank you and regards,

Andy